Kernel question

Greetings

I have subscribed to this list server to find
out more about non-Red Hat derivatives.
Is the Debian distribution of the type that I
can,  when I want to update the kernel,
download a complete kernel tar ball or a patch
file from what ever web site I choose, install it,
and have things function properly?

The last coupe of times I did this to my current
distro things went a muck. Fortunate for me I
saved my current kernel and was able to boot
from it. I didn't have too much problems with
previous distro when I built custom kernels
with it. I was able to get a kernel update from
anywhere and go to town with it.

I am basically "shopping" for a new distro.

Thanks
Walt Williams