Re: Kernel question

Walter Williams <wwilliams@mountain-cad.com> wrote:

> I have subscribed to this list server to find
> out more about non-Red Hat derivatives.
> Is the Debian distribution of the type that I
> can,  when I want to update the kernel,
> download a complete kernel tar ball or a patch
> file from what ever web site I choose, install it,
> and have things function properly?

In my experience, it is. The laptop I'm using has a 2.4.0-test3
kernel and the machine at home, dual Pentium 133MHz also runs a
custom compiled kernel. I usually get the kernel tar balls from
ftp.funet.fi. The Debian package system does not force me to use a
precompiled kernel-image from a Debian package.

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland