Re: Samba Setup

Jay Kelly wrote:

> Hello All,
> I thought I would take a crack at Samba so I installed Samba. Now
> what do I need to do for my window98 clients to log in to samba? What
> change to my network setting will I need to make? Will my Primary Network
> Login be Microsoft Family or Client for Microsoft Networks? Do I need
> to change my Domain to point to Sambe?
> Any help would be greatly appeciated.
> Thanks
> Jay

I'm not sure how to set up Samba to function as a domain
controller, which your question implies you're trying to do.
However, if you're just trying to share out stuff, like hard
drives, folders, and printers, do the following.

You'll need to edit /etc/samba/smb.conf to "define" your
"shares"; with the comments sprinkled throughout, it's fairly
intuitive for the basics. (You can also use SWAT (apt-get install
swat) for a web-based configuration tool, but I've never had any
success with it.)

Then, IIRC, you'll need to run smbpasswd to assign a
username/password to the people you want to give access to.

Finally, on the Windows box, you would simply map a drive to
\\YourLinuxComputer'sName\TheShareDefinedInSmb.conf. Your logon
will probably need to be Client for Microsoft Networks, but I'm
not sure.

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu