server crashed

HI

yesterday my email/web server decided to give up on me.  Firstly i noticed
this when our email wasn't getting out to the outside world...although the
web server was still operational.  I tried to telnet into the server but it
kept disconnecting me.  So i jumped into my car and drove to the site where
the server was situated and tried to log in.  It let me type in the login
but when i pressed <Enter> it came back with another login prompt and no
password prompt...hence i couldn't log on.  CTRL-ALT-DEL wouldn't work as
well so i turned it off via the power switch.  When it came back up it went
through a fsck and fixed a few problems on it's single filesystem... then
it started going through the startup proceedures but stopped when it tried
to process the init stages...

it went something like this :

"init 1.....no more to process in this init.
init 2.....no more to process in this init.
init 3.....no more to process in this init.
init 4.....no more to process in this init.
init 5.....no more to process in this init.
init 6.....no more to process in this init.

getty failed to init...waiting 5 minutes..."

It didn't get any further!

luckily i had a standby machine handy and a recent tar backup.. luckily :)

Anybody out there who has experienced this occurance?  perhaps it was a
virus...anyone know of a good virus checker that would run on slink 2.1
with ancient kernel 2.0.36?  I have apache, squid and smail as my main
packages.

Thanx

Zane