Re: Compaq ProLiant ML350

Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 09:03:43PM +0100, Lee Elliott wrote:
> > There is an option for Compaq Smart Array support when compiling
> > kernels, so you may need to compile a kernel with this support.  There
> > seems to be a catch-22 situation here though - you compile a kernel with
> > Smart Array support, but it's got to sit on a drive that needs Smart
> > Array support to be accessed.  Presumably though, if the ntloader, which
> > I doubt has special Smart Array support, can be found off the array,
> > there's no reason why a linux loader couldn't be used instead.
>
> Dunno if this applies to Compaq Smart Raid, but IBM ServeRAID didn't
> work with LILO at all.  It worked fine with GRUB, which after cursing
> the docs I found easier to use.
>
> HTH,

I wonder if that's due to the LILO 1024 cylinder limit?  I've never
looked at the device parameters presented by a raid controller - must
have a gander.  Because the raid controller is presenting a
logical/virtual HD, I'd expect the same problem regardless of which
controller was used.

LeeE
--

http://www.spatial.freeserve.co.uk