Re: deb..deb cryptohackery

Ben Collins wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 02:30:18PM +0100, Nick Herring wrote:
> > ddd 3.0 core dumps when I select programs > run menu for command line
> > arguements, so I have obtained a binary copy of ddd version 3.2.1 which
> > is encrypted as a file with deb..deb extention -
> >
> > ddd_3.2.1-3.deb..deb
> >
> > the website (http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl) has posted a
> > md5sum code for this file
> >
> > How do I extract the file from this?
> >
> > I have already downloaded the source but it won't configure because lex
> > is missing. So I can't build. And our systems dept have a load of work
> > on so it won't get done for a while by them. So I need the binary.
>
> It's not encrypted, it's a package. Not sure how you get the deb..deb
> extension, but do this:
>
> dpkg -i ddd_3.2.1-3.deb..deb

Dunno if this might be relevent, but whenever I download any .debs at
work using W95+IE5 and save them, the saved files usually have "..de"
appended to the name.  I say usually because most of the time, if I save
straight to a ZIP100, it doesn't append the "..de" but if I save to HD
it always appends "..de"

/* I used to enjoy working with computers - 25 years worth - but now
that it's all M$, it's like you're p*ssing into the wind all the time */

LeeE