Re: Ethercard Plus Elite 16: (WD/8013EP)

Hello,

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 01:53:30PM +0300, virtanen wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Nathan E Norman wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 07:49:58PM +0300, hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've got an ethercard as shown on the subject line.
> > > Can't get it wortking.
> >
> > Please do a `modprobe wd' and tell us the output of that (if any) plus
> > the relavent bits from dmesg.
>
> 1)
> modprobe doesn't give any output.
>
> 2)
> dmesg:
>
> wd.c. presently autoprobing (etc)
>

> eth0: WD80x3 at 0x200, 00 00 CO AO 6C 66 WD8013, IRQ7,
> Shared memory at 0xc800 0-0xcbfff
>
> (In my opinion) this means that the card is working anyway?

Well, it is detected here, anyway.  Once it is detected, it
must also be configured with ifconfig, though your startup
scripts may be doing this already.  To check this, after boot,
run "ifconfig eth0".  If it is already configured, great.
If not, you can try to ifconfig it from the command line, and
when you get the card working, you can put the settings in
your startup script (/etc/init.d/network for slink, it changed
in potato).

> I tried to install 'slink' by installing 'base' from a dos-partition and
> tried the rest by 'apt'. But when going to 'dselect' the box doesn't get
> any connection to anywhere.

What type of Internet connection are you using?  If you're using a
dialup connection, you must first install and configure PPP.
(apt-get install ppp pppconfig, then run pppconfig.)  If you're
using some other connection method (cable-modem, dsl, etc.) you
will also need to install and configure support for it (and
start the connection) before you can get online.

Before apt (or deselect with the apt method) will work you
will also need to edit /etc/apt/sources.list so apt will
know where to look for package info.

> How could I probe that my IP address, netmask, gateway, etc are correct?
> I took all that info from a win partition.

If the settings work with another OS, then they should be correct
for linux.

> Would be advisable/possible to install some package, which could do
> automaticly all this job?

I would recommend installing the packages ppp and pppconfig, then
run pppconfig.  It will prompt you for all the info it needs to
configure PPP.  Another option is the wvdial package, but I've
had little success with it.
--
David Karlin