Re: Install problem with AHA 2940 SCSI (older PC)

Thanks.  Did what you said and re-checked the FAQ-O-Matic.  There is was,
plain as day, a pointer to a set of AIC-7xxx *only* rescue and driver disks
(at http://www.debian.org/~adric/aic7xxx/ if anyone is keeping score).  The
rescue disk worked like a charm, and allowed me to partition my HD.

On to the next problem...

I partitioned the HD into a 925 MB linux partition (type 83) and an 80 MB
Linux swap partition (type 82).  I tried this setup because the install
manual suggested as much swap space as you have memory.

After partitioning I get to the "initialize and activate a swap partition",
and "initialize and activate Linux Partition"
steps.  It correctly identitifes /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 as the Linux and
swap partitions.  However, it will initialize, but hangs if I try to do a
bad-block scan of either partition.  After establishing this fact I ignored
the scan step and moved on (why does it hang?  I know there are no bad
blocks)

After initializing and mounting /dev/sda1 as root, I come to the "Install
operating system kernel and modules" step.  I tell it to use the first
floppy (as indicated in the readme for the aic7xxx disks), but I get a
message "unable to mount the rescue floppy", then "The attemt to extract the
Rescue Floppy failed".  Alt-F3 (the screen with status messages) has two
messages at the end:
"Mount /dev/fd0  (type msdos) on /floppy: wrong filesystem type, or bad
superblock on /dev/fd0"
"Mount /dev/fd0  (type ext2) on /floppy: wrong filesystem type, or bad
superblock on /dev/fd0"

Tried making another rescue floppy with rawrite (even though the one has
worked fine so far), and got the same message.  Any ideas?

Thanks again,

Robert