Install problem with AHA 2940 SCSI (older PC)

I am trying to install Linux on my old PC:

Built by Lektor (a Danish company)
Intel Endeavor motherboard w/ Pentium 166 processor
80 MB RAM
Adaptec 2940 SCSI Host Adapter (LUN 7)
Pioneer DRU124x CD-ROM at LUN 2 (bootable)
Seagate ST11200N HD at LUN 0 (brand new, low level format only)
No network or PCMCIA cards

I'm trying to install Linux from CDs.  After some experimenting I found that
I had to use the 'tecra' install disk (on CD#2).  At the boot: prompt I type
"Linux mem=80mb" and hit enter.  The system install program comes up and
lets me pick my color monitor and configure the keyboard.  THEN the problem
starts, the system installation program says "No hard drives could be found,
you are installing the system on a diskless workstation, therefore you need
to configure the network..."  But I have no network(!) and I do have a hard
drive.  Is there any way to force the system to see my HD?

By the way, I also tried mounting a floppy or a ramdisk as the root
filesystem, and I get to the same place.  I suspect that the problem is with
the non-formatted HD (as I said above, it is low-level formatted only).  I
cannot even get a DOS system disk to recognize or format it.

Any help would be appreciated, I haven't given up on Linux yet, after 1 week
of trying...

Robert