Re: 2.4test1 make zImage error

"adam.edgar" wrote:

>         I have run into a bit of a problem when compiling the test kernel
> under potato. When I make zImage it runs all the way to the end and then
> crashes after reporting that the system is to large.

In that case, use `make bzImage`.  It uses bzip2, if I'm not mistaken,
so you'll need to have that.

> Yet the size it
> reports is actualy smaller than that of the current kernel (The default
> for potato). Has any one else run into this problem? Or am I doing
> something stupid. The exact step I have used (which work with 2.2.x) are
> as follows:
>         cd /usr/src/linux
>         make mrproper
>         make menuconfig
>         make dep
>         make clean

I don't think you're supposed to `make clean` after `make dep`:
you'll be removing some of the work done by `make menuconfig`
and `make dep`.  I always go straight to `make zImage` or bzImage`
after `make dep`.

>         make zImage
>
> And here it crashes. Ive tried bzImage

Oh!  You beat me to it!  Rats!

> and it runs to completion, but for
> some unkown reason it want run

What do you mean by this?  What does it do?  Not do?

> (I even tried bzlilo but it just wont boot).

I've never completely worked throught the steps necessary to
get the `make *lilo` commands working, so I always move
the kernel from arch/i386/boot to /boot/vmlinuz-?.?.??, modify
my symlinks if necessary, run `lilo`, then reboot.  Rarely
fails, unless, of course, I screw something up  ;{)  Which
only happens about one out of six times or so.

> If you have any idea how i can get things working I would be much
> appreciated.

You mean if you get things working someone will much appreciate you?