Re: 2.4test1 make zImage error

On 09 Jun 2000, Bolan Meek wrote:
[snip]

> I don't think you're supposed to `make clean` after `make dep`:
> you'll be removing some of the work done by `make menuconfig`
> and `make dep`.  I always go straight to `make zImage` or bzImage`
> after `make dep`.

[snip]

According to Welsh and Kaufman (Running Linux), 2nd edition, Step 3,
after "make dep" is:

	If you have built a kernel from this source before, run `make
	clean' to clear out old object files and force a complete
	rebuild.

I've always done this over a number of years, first on 2.0.x and now on
2.2.x series, and never had any problems.

On the other hand, I once did `make proper' which I think is advised in
the kernel README, or elsewhere, and that did screw things up.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"To be forced by desire into any unwarrantable belief is a calamity."
I.A. Richards