Re: About Centralizing Passwords

hi ya benjamin...

what kind of authentification are oyu trying to do ??

- user to get shell account on the server...
- a win98/NT user to get to the linux resources...
- a linux user that can get to other unix/linux resources

users that once authenticated can get emails....
	/var/spool/mail problem...
	on the mail server issue...
	-
	you probably do NOT want (insecure) mail servers to be used
	the same way as normal home/file servers

users that once authentifcated can get to their home dirs
from any server anywhere

windows users that can get to unix resources like printing
to the printers  or unix users that can print to printers
connected to winnt

NIS is useful for sharing files amongst machines...

but i do NOT use NIS...i just automounters and mount the
needed directories from which ever server they logged in at

as far as one machine that has passwd authentification...
i tend to dislike it... and rather do some work and cut and paste
passwd files...( via scripts ..hopefully doing it securely )

and one day..guess i should go learn what pam does...
in detail...

have fun linuxing
alvin