Re: About Centralizing Passwords

Benjamin Hudgens <benjamin@wayport.net> writes:

> Is there a client/server protocol that supports centralizing password
> AND session information other than NIS.  If I'm not mistaken, NIS
> requires that you STILL edit the password file and specify user dirs..
> etc.  Perhaps I'm reading this wrong..

Yes, you are reading wrong. With NIS you get full passwd,group, alias,
... entries, just like they were local.

I consider safety beeing only problem in NIS. And all machines jammed
totally if NIS server is down, even logging in as root (local
account)...

--
M. Tavasti /  tavasti@iki.fixx  /   +358-40-5078254
 Poista sähköpostiosoitteesta molemmat x-kirjaimet