Re: Promise Ultra66 Controller...

On my system, I see messages like this:

hda: Maxtor 54098U8, ATA DISK drive
hdc: Maxtor 91728D8, ATA DISK drive
hde: Maxtor 91152D8, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0xac00-0xac07,0xb002 on irq 5
ide1 at 0xb400-0xb407,0xb802 on irq 5
ide2 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: Maxtor 54098U8, 39082MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=79406/16/63, UDMA(66)
hdc: Maxtor 91728D8, 16479MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=33483/16/63, UDMA(33)
hde: Maxtor 91152D8, 10991MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=22332/16/63, (U)DMA

So I presume you are saying that the drive models have been identified, but
it has not displayed the capacity, cache size, or other details.

My first guess would be a potential IRQ conflict.  If you boot the system
with no drives attached to the Promise controller, does /proc/interrupts
show the Promise controller sharing an IRQ?  If so, try the card in
another slot.  (It is OK for both channels on the Promise card to use
the same IRQ.  That is normal.  Mine are both on IRQ 5.)

Beyond that, I'm not sure what to suggest.  You could try asking on
Linux-kernel, or asking the author of the Promise driver.

I'm wondering why your ide1 is on IRQ 15.  That sounds like the second
IDE port on the motherboard, not the second channel on the Promise card.
I wonder what happened to the second channel on the Promise?

Regards,

Jeff