Re: rawrite broken from DOS-box under W98? (Was: Re: thinkpad install prob)

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
>     Robert> Every floppy I've written in a "DOS-box" so far wrote fine but
>     Robert> didn't work, so I strongly recommend booting into real DOS (via
>     Robert> <F8> when "Starting Windows 9x...").
>
>  Have other people exerienced this?  (I've never used Windows >= 3.1,
>  so I don't know.)

CrossBrand - BIOS upgrade/reference disks corrupted by Windows 95/98
Applicable Countries: Worldwide
Service Hints & Tips
Symptom:
Performing a "DIR" command in the Windows 95/98 environment on a Flash
BIOS update diskette or a PS/2 Reference Diskette may cause the
diskette to become inoperative. This affects ALL IntelliStations,
PS/ValuePoint, IBM PCs and PS/2 systems.

Problem Isolation Aid: None	;-)

Fix:
Microsoft uses an 8 byte block on the diskette for labelling purposes in
Windows 95/98. When a "DIR" command is executed, this 8 byte block is
written to by Windows 95.

The "Diskette Drive A:" Icon under the "My Computer" folder in
Windows 95/98 has the same affect as the "DIR" command.

IBM uses this same 8 byte block for Flash BIOS updates and PS/2 Reference
Diskettes to ensure that the Flash is occurring in a stable environment.

Once the 8 byte block has been written to by the Windows 95/98 "DIR"
command, the Flash diskette or Reference Diskette will display an
error indicating that "This is not a valid Flash Diskette"or "This is
not the correct Reference Diskette for this system."

-----
roger? greetings, martin