Re: init - autostarts

On Sat, 20 May 2000, w trillich wrote:
> Dominic> all that "starting syslogd", "starting inetd" etc
> Dominic> when you're booting, it's controlled by init, right?
> Dominic> how do i tell it not to start the things I'd rather
> Dominic> not be running?

Mostly you will want to have syslogd, initd ... running.
syslogd does the logging for you, inetd starts not so often used
daemons.
The scripts can be found in /etc/init.d, links to them for each
runlevel are in /etc/rc[S1-6].d.
Read about 'sysvinit' and turn Snn scripts to Knn scripts to adjust
your runlevel setup.

> if you're wondering about things like scsi-initialization
> and isdn setup, then i say "me too". they seem to happen BEFORE
> the /etc/init.d/* scripts get called from /etc/rc*.d/S* . . .
> how about it? where can we turn off scsi probing or isdn scans?

Build a kernel without those devices / modules.

greetings, martin