Re: module loading problems

Thus spake ulla.russell@pp.inet.fi on Sun, May 21, 2000 at 02:00:11AM CDT

> .
> make menuconfig
> make-kpkg clean
> make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
> dpkg -i ../kernel-image..deb
>
> With the new kernel installed we get the following
> messages:

Simple is best.  I've never had any problems under Debian building and
installing Linux kernels the 'old fashioned' way.

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install

Copy the compressed kernel image from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot to /boot
using an appropriate name of your choice such as vmlinuz-2.2.9 (don't
overwrite your old one!)

Edit /etc/lilo.conf to reference your new kernel (see the man page for
lilo.conf)

lilo
shutdown -r now

After the system comes back up, as root, run depmod -a.  It's probably
already being run by the /etc/init.d/modutils boot script but running it
again won't hurt anything, and will make sure it's done.

> 2)
> How can I get dmesg or some log file to save a complete list
> of all the messages that the kernel prints when it is booting.
> It a little irrating booting and rebooting just so as to be
> able to read boot messages.

Ctrl-S will stop the load process and freeze your display.  Ctrl-Q will
restart it.  This may help.  I believe the scroll-lock key works as a toggle
on this on current kernels.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at