Re: Installation Problems

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Carl Kehley wrote:
> Seagate ST 27.4g hard drive UDMA66

I believe that your HD is an IDE (or some sort).
IDE controllers are supported by the stock kernels, except the latest
ones, I think; 2.3.x and 2.4.x. (Interesting... Linux is for high-end
servers, IDE people, get lost... or do some recompilation :-) Whoa, what
an attitude.)

> Installer recognizes all devices, then I get the following:  NCR53c406a,
> no ports available.  Does the NC indicate a scsi device?  From info at

It's okay. It just means that the kernel was trying to detect a SCSI card
with NCR53cxxxxx chip-set on it. (It the booting process hung, then you
had a problem. Try to get a kernel without NCR support.)

Oki