Re: cdrecord question

Sean Johnson and some other referred to:
> But of course you can ... from the cdrecord manpage:
>
> 	" If the overall speed of the system is sufficient  and  the
>        structure  of  the filesystem is not too complex, cdrecord
>        will run  without  creating  an  image  of  the  ISO  9660
>        filesystem. Simply run the pipeline:
>
>            mkisofs  -R  /master/tree  | cdrecord -v fs=6m speed=2
>        dev=2,0 - "

Good point. I forgot about that option. Just a question.  What does
mkisofs do?  As I understood it mkisofs creates a iso9660 image?

>From the manpage:

"mkisofs is effectively a pre-mastering program to generate
       the iso9660 filesystem - it takes a snapshot  of  a  given
       directory  tree,  and  generates a binary image which will
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
       correspond to an iso9660  filesystem  when  written  to  a
       block device."

So what

     mkisofs  -R  /master/tree  | cdrecord -v fs=6m speed=2  dev=2,0

does is piping an image to cdrecord.

That is what I meant by saying you can not write a CD without an
image.

Or am I still wrong on this one?

Johann
--
J.H. Spies, Hugenotestraat 29, Posbus 80, Franschhoek, 7690, South Africa
Tel/Faks 021-876-2337 Sel/Cell 082-255-2388