cdrecord question

Hello,

I have a Matsushita (Panasonic) 7582 IDE cdr.  I've read
through the CD-Writing Howto but I am still confused about
one thing.

Is it possible to write files and directories to a cd without making
an image first?  I don't have 650 MB of my hard drive to spare for
an image file.  In Windoze, Adaptec EZ-CD recorder can take in
a list of files and then just burn them to a cd.  It seems to me the
only way to make data cds is to make an image first and then use
cdrecord to make the image into a cd.

Can anyone help me out?

thanks