Re: XF4.0 Modelines?

Thanks to Felix Natter and yourself for your suggestions.

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 04:51:23PM -0700, Eric G . Miller wrote:
> On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 07:53:20AM -0400, Dan Brosemer wrote:
> I just install the precompiled binaries Sunday.  You don't specify
> modelines anymore, yeah! It figures them out all by itself. The new
> xf86config should create a valid XF86Config file for you.  Beware, in
> the precompiled binaries, xterm doesn't handle ANSI colors properly.
> One of the Authors notified me that a patch to fix that problem didn't
> get in to the official release.

That's exactly my problem.  I need them.  With my setup, I need fine grained
control over what is getting sent to my monitor.  Just entering hsync and
vrefresh didn't work even for 3.3.x, there were still modelines (and all the
ones it was trying right off) that didn't work.

> > I have a Permedia 2 based reference board and a GoldStar Studioworks 78i
> > monitor.  Entering the specs for the monitor (hsync and vrefresh) leave me
> > with a blank screen (and the monitor in sleep mode) with both XF4.0 and
> > 3.3.x.
> Don't know anything about Permedia cards.  Did you check the supported
> drivers list? Look for suspect "Options" or modules that may cause
> problems.  The Xinstall.sh script warned about a couple (PEX, ??) when I
> used it.  There should be a log /var/log/XFree96.0.log.

Permedia 2 is supposed to be one of the better supported chipsets (via
glint).

Thanks for the PEX hint.  I'll look at that and get back to the list.

Thanks again

-Dan

--
"Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart
he dreams himself your master."