Re: XF4.0 Modelines?

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 07:53:20AM -0400, Dan Brosemer wrote:
> My typical strategy for configuring X is to go through xf86config and then
> try to start X many times deleting modelines from the XF86Config file when
> they fail (my monitor stays black).  This worked great for all of the 3.3
> series
>
> I compiled XF86 4.0 and installed it, but when I tried this, I found that
> there were no modelines in the XF86Config file.  A search of xfree86.org
> yeilds nothing helpful, I was wondering if someone could tell me what
> happened to them or offer a better way of getting X working.

I just install the precompiled binaries Sunday.  You don't specify
modelines anymore, yeah! It figures them out all by itself. The new
xf86config should create a valid XF86Config file for you.  Beware, in
the precompiled binaries, xterm doesn't handle ANSI colors properly.
One of the Authors notified me that a patch to fix that problem didn't
get in to the official release.

> I have a Permedia 2 based reference board and a GoldStar Studioworks 78i
> monitor.  Entering the specs for the monitor (hsync and vrefresh) leave me
> with a blank screen (and the monitor in sleep mode) with both XF4.0 and
> 3.3.x.

Don't know anything about Permedia cards.  Did you check the supported
drivers list? Look for suspect "Options" or modules that may cause
problems.  The Xinstall.sh script warned about a couple (PEX, ??) when I
used it.  There should be a log /var/log/XFree96.0.log.

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.