Re: svga modes

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 01:51:46PM -0300, Mark Small wrote:

> >> Yesterday I tried using vga=ask as a bootup option (from loadlin) and chose a
> >> different video mode (80x28 instead of 80x25).  It looked fine when I was
> >> booting, but after I switched from a x (auto started with XDM) to a VT, I was
> >> back in standard text mode.  Also, I couldn't see the bottom three
> >> lines of text, so the VT thought that there were 28 lines on my console.  Is
> >> there a configuration option that I missed, or is this a problem with my X
> >> server?
> >>
> >> My system:
> >>
> >> Debian 2.1r5 + xfree from www.debian.org/~vincent
> >> Hercules Thriller 3D 4MB PCI (Rendition V2200)
> >> P233 MMX w/ 96MB Ram
> >
> >Weird.  My understanding is that once you've selected a vga mode, it
> >sticks.  Of course, if you're running SVGATextMode, this may not be the
> >case.  Are you?
>
> I don't think so, what is it?

DESCRIPTION
       SVGATextMode provides a means  to  seriously  enhance  the
       looks  of  your Linux text consoles, by re-programming the
       (S)VGA hardware. It uses a configuration file  similar  to
       the  one  the  XFree86  X-windows  server uses (Xconfig or
       XF86Config) to set up better looking  textmodes.  (=higher
       resolution,  larger font size, higher display refresh...).

> I strongly suspect that it is a bug in my x-server/card.  There is a
> known bug (that I've never seen) in the Rendition server where it freezes
> while switching from X to a VT.  Maybe this is related in some way.

The appropriate thing to do then is to scan lists and groups for problems
related to your card.  In other words, I ain't got a stinkin' clue <g>.

> Maybe I should contact dejan (one of the key xfree-rendition developers)
> and ask him about this.
>
> Mark
>
> ps If you reply, please reply directly since I'm not subscribed to
> debian-user, I just browse the archives

Generally that request is phrased "please cc: me directly".  Copying the
list is widely rumored to increase collective intelligence.  It
certainly helps those who scan the list.

In my case, list mail is sufficient -- my procmail filters personal cc:'s
to the same mailbox anyway.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/