Re: svga modes

>> Yesterday I tried using vga=ask as a bootup option (from loadlin) and chose a
>> different video mode (80x28 instead of 80x25).  It looked fine when I was
>> booting, but after I switched from a x (auto started with XDM) to a VT, I was
>> back in standard text mode.  Also, I couldn't see the bottom three
>> lines of text, so the VT thought that there were 28 lines on my console.  Is
>> there a configuration option that I missed, or is this a problem with my X
>> server?
>>
>> My system:
>>
>> Debian 2.1r5 + xfree from www.debian.org/~vincent
>> Hercules Thriller 3D 4MB PCI (Rendition V2200)
>> P233 MMX w/ 96MB Ram
>
>Weird.  My understanding is that once you've selected a vga mode, it
>sticks.  Of course, if you're running SVGATextMode, this may not be the
>case.  Are you?

I don't think so, what is it?

I strongly suspect that it is a bug in my x-server/card.  There is a known bug (that I've never seen) in the Rendition server where it freezes while switching from X to a VT.  Maybe this is related in some way.

Maybe I should contact dejan (one of the key xfree-rendition developers) and ask him about this.

Mark

ps If you reply, please reply directly since I'm not subscribed to debian-user, I just browse the archives