Re: Installation help

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 06:30:55PM +0530, Sunil Pandey wrote:
>         This may not be the correct place to ask but since it is related
> to debian installation, I would ask it anyway. Thing is debian  allows a
> way to install through existing dos. Now, my comp already  has  Win-2000
> and that would not let me boot into dos. can someone suggest a way to do
> this.

Installing via DOS is useful if you have a DOS system to install from.
As W2K is NT-derived, and not DOS derived, there is no underlying DOS OS
for you to boot to.  You'll have to provide your own.

A better suggestion might be to try a boot floppy installation.  This
involves one or two floppies, plus a downloaded disk image, which you
store someplace on your system.

While you can have more partitions, I'd suggest three as a minimum for
this method:

  1:  W2K
  2:  Linux root partition
  3:  other Linux partition

...initially, you'd install Linux into the root partition, while holding
the install image on the third partition.

As I said, more partitions may not hurt, and your decision should be
driven by available space, physical drive(s) configuration, and
anticipated use.

A small(ish) boot partition, a Linux swap partition, and possible
breakouts for /tmp, /var, /usr, /usr/local, and /home may be
appropriate.  However, the justifications fall well within the realm of
religion.

I'd suggest you take a look at several of the Linux HOWTOS, including
those covering multiple-OS booting, large disks, and LILO.

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com)
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/