apt-get error ("Couldn't configure a pre-depend")

Hi, this is my first post (fresh-off-the-farm newbie).  Hope someone can
help.

I'm trying to upgrade from slink to the latest unstable using apt-get
dist-upgrade, and
after a 180MB download (14 hours!) I got this error message:

"E: Internal Error, Couldn't configure a pre-depend."

What does this mean, and how can I fix it (or better yet, where can read
up on it)?
I have a few slink-jp packages installed as well.  Could these be
messing things up...?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!  :-)