Re: cable modem and LAN

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 01:19:28AM -0600, matt garman wrote:

> I configured one of my roommates' Windows box to automatically receive an
> IP address.  I restarted his computer, and watched the output of
> "tail -f /var/log/messages" on my Linux box to see if dhcpd assigned an IP
> address: dhcp made no entry in /var/log/messages (also no entry in
> /var/log/syslog for that matter).  I then used my serial modem to
> establish a ppp connection to my school and tried "surfing the net" from
> my roommate's computer -- which didn't work.

why are you trying to use dhcp for a small private lan?  just enter
static ip addresses into all the machines that are behind the linux
firewall.  use the 192.168.0.* range.  dhcp is more trouble then its
worth for just a couple machines...

> I'm guessing there may be an error in my /etc/dhcp.conf file, but I mostly
> copied the sample dhcp.conf from the home network mini howto.  My other
> guess is that I've missed some other minor detail.

my advice is don't mess with dhcp for the firewalled machines.  you may
be forced to use it to get an ip from the cable modem but that is a
different issue.

> Does anyone have any hints on getting my LAN running?  I'd really like a
> step-by-step guide to setting such a thing up (aimed at the Debian
> distribution).

all machines in the lan should have private IP addresses in the
192.168.0.* range, the NIC in your linux box connected to this lan
should also have such as address (say 192.168.0.1) the other NIC
should be assigned the IP address for the cable modem (unfortunately
they ususally insist on using dhcp for this)

at that point look at the ipmasq package.  or the ipmasq howto.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/