Re: cable modem and LAN

    Here is my two cents worth.

1. locate your 'hosts' file, usually in /etc/hosts. Use vi or some other good
editor to add ips for the rest of your boxes. should look something like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.10.1    main.mylinuxbox.org  linux
192.168.10.20   1stwinbox.win.org   win1
192.168.10.30   2winbox.win.org   2win
192.168.10.40   3winbox.win.org    3win

Save that file. Now it's time to work on your windoz boxes.

Go into NETWORKING. set each one of them up so they have an ip
address as listed in hosts above. Also, edit each of their hosts files in
c:\windows\hosts   as you look at them now, you will see a host.xxx file, I
don't recall what the default name is, but they have added an extention to it.
use notepad, add all the above entries. Save that file as HOSTS with no
extention.

Go thru your networking and make sure to set the defualt gateway so it is
pointing to the linux box.  I leave modems in all of mine, so just incase I am
yanking every bit of bandwidth, the users can just dialup direct.

it's pretty ez all in all. I would forget about that dynamic setup your
attempting. it's way more trouble then its worth. just use static ip's that you
issue and your good to go.

I lost my linux box here to a really nasty spike. once I installed the cd and
set up my host file and a dialup account, my lan was back on the net - it was
only a few hours. So, you can do it.

Good luck and have fun!

--

Jaye:-}

M.J. Inabnit, KE6SLS     e-mail      ke6sls@arrl.net
707-442-6579 h/m                     707-441-7096 p
http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls            ICQ# 12741145
This mail composed with kmail on kde on X on linux warped by debian
    If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid.