Re: cable modem and LAN

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 02:01:05PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> I don't know of one on the "net" (i hate that term), but here goes:
>
> 1) Build a PC with two ethernet cards
> 2) Install Debian.
> 3) Install kernel-package and kernel-source packages
> 4) Compile new kernel; make sure IP masq is enabled.
> 5) Make sure second ethernet card is enabled and configured
> 6) Install ipmasq package
> 7) reboot
>
> It's that easy :)

I did the above steps, but...

I'm trying to setup a home LAN for cable modem sharing.  I want my Linux
box to act as the server/firewall, and have my roommates connect one Linux
and two Windows boxes to my computer.  There seems to be many small
details that need attending to, and I'm not too sure what I'm doing.  (The
cablemodem hasn't actually been installed yet; I'm trying to get our home
network running before that.)

I tried reading the home network mini howto, but it was aimed at Redhat
users, and I'm running Debian.

I've got two ethernet cards installed in my computer; Linux detects them
and installs the drivers for them correctly.  I also recompiled my kernel
with ip-masquerading and firewalling options.  I installed Debian's ipmasq
and dhcp packages.  I did some hacking on the /etc/dhcp.conf file to
assign the 192.168.* addresses to dhcp clients.

When I start my computer and type "ifconfig" with no options, only the
loopback device is shown.  So I executed the following line:
	ifconfig eth1 192.168.0.1 up
and then did a "/etc/init.d/dhcp restart" and the dhcp server appears to
start okay (i.e. no error messages).

I configured one of my roommates' Windows box to automatically receive an
IP address.  I restarted his computer, and watched the output of
"tail -f /var/log/messages" on my Linux box to see if dhcpd assigned an IP
address: dhcp made no entry in /var/log/messages (also no entry in
/var/log/syslog for that matter).  I then used my serial modem to
establish a ppp connection to my school and tried "surfing the net" from
my roommate's computer -- which didn't work.

I'm guessing there may be an error in my /etc/dhcp.conf file, but I mostly
copied the sample dhcp.conf from the home network mini howto.  My other
guess is that I've missed some other minor detail.

Does anyone have any hints on getting my LAN running?  I'd really like a
step-by-step guide to setting such a thing up (aimed at the Debian
distribution).

Thanks for any help!
Matt

--
Matt Garman, garman@ews.uiuc.edu
"I was just reading the interview with Korn in _Guitar_World_, and one of