Re: cable modem and LAN

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 01:40:50PM -0600, matt garman wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I'm getting a cable modem installation this weekend (AT&T @home).  In
> order to not pay for multiple IPs, my three roommates and I are setting up
> a home network.
>
> I plan to run the cablemodem into my Linux box to use it as the server.  I
> have two ethernet cards that are correctly recognized by Linux.  Now I'm
> not sure what else I need to do to get IP sharing working.  I know I need
> to recompile my kernel with the IP masquerading and some other options,
> but beyond that I'm not sure what software I need to setup (which config
> files to edit, etc).
>
> I got the home network mini howto, but it's assumes a redhat distribution,
> which apparently does configuration of these things a bit differently.
>
> Does anyone know of a step-by-step guide for setting up my network for
> Debian?

I don't know of one on the "net" (i hate that term), but here goes:

1) Build a PC with two ethernet cards
2) Install Debian.
3) Install kernel-package and kernel-source packages
4) Compile new kernel; make sure IP masq is enabled.
5) Make sure second ethernet card is enabled and configured
6) Install ipmasq package
7) reboot

It's that easy :)

You may install other services as you see fit.  On my proxy I run a DHCP
server for my internal LAN, and I run a caching only named.

--
Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/