Re: Error Compiling kdenetwork-1.1.2

Bill Caskey wrote:

> Following is a message I posted to the KDE User listserv a few days ago.
> Stephan Kulow, developer of the kdenetwork package replied that he didn't know
> what was causing the compile to terminate but did note that libdl was broken;
> that I should have libdl.so instead of libdl.a. I'm running slink with a kernel
> built from 2.2.14 source. I did download and install the binutils in frozen but
> still get the same compile error. Isn't the linker in binutils? Any other
> suggestions as to why kdenetwork isn't compiling. As noteb, kdenetwork is the
> last module I tried compiling; all others compiled and installed with no
> problems. And, KDE runs, but, of course, I dont' have kppp and kmail--two
> programs most important to me on my laptop. Thanks for any advice...Bill

> Subject: Error Compiling kdenetwork-1.1.2
> Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:37:17 -0600
> From: Bill Caskey <wcaskey@worldnet.att.net>
>
> I'm running Debian 2.1 (CD from McCarty's book) with a customized kernel I built
> from 2.2.14 source. I compiled and installed all of KDE with kdenetwork being
> the last module to compile.  After some half-hour or so of compiling, the
> process terminates while (apparently) linking ksirc. The following lines
> are the error messages generated. Can anyone help resolve the problem or
> point me to documentation that will? Thanks.
>
> /usr/bin/../lib/libdl.a(dlsym.o): In function 'doit.2':
> dlsym.o(.text+0x22): undefined reference to '_dl_default_scope'
> dlsym.o(.text+0x4c): undefined reference to '_dl_default_scope'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [ksirc] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kdenetwork-1.1.2/ksirc'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kdenetwork-1.1.2/ksirc'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/kdenetwork-1.1.2'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
>
> --Bill Caskey

Why don't you use the kde debs instead of compiling everything by hand?

Add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://kde.tdyc.com slink kde contrib rkrusty

You can add kdenetwork but it will probably complain as you've not installed the debs
of the other parts of kde it depends on.

Doing-it-yourself has the side effect of making removal a touch trickier than it
might be.

Jonathan