Re: Threads under linux

Hi, Micha

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Keith G. Murphy wrote:

> Micha Feigin wrote:
> >
> > I am looking to use threads for programing under linux. Is there any
> > tutorial on the subject, or can anyone recomand me a book, or pointers to
> > the library rutines so I have  place to start? ( I have previous exprience
> > with threads under windows, so I don't need  something to start me from
> > scrach).

send me private e-mail, i have some stuff on hands...

> > I saw the pthread_... function calls. Are these the native calls for
> > lynux?

they are not. The native call (syscall) is called clone. pthread_...
is in userspace library and this library implements POSIX threading
interface.

> > Also, if someone can tell me, are these kernel level threads or user level
> > thread? that is, will calling locking system calls (read, write etc) lock
> > up the entire system like in sunOS or does it perform like in windows
> > where only the thread blocks?

linux uses kernel threads, 1:1 mapping. Only one thread will block
on read/write/whatever.

> > What are the locking fasilities? is, mutex, semaphore, critical section
> > etc. evailable under linux?

yes, mutexes, semaphores and conditional variables are here. Do not know
what the critical section is

> > Is there a library that emulates the sunOS LWP (lightweight process )
> > library?

if you're looking for thr_... emulation the answer i believe is no.

> > I wan't to develop for the sunOS at home on my linux machine (I
> > need to write an exercise for university, and i don't feel like sitting in
> > the computer room for that).
> >
> I don't know much about that stuff, but you *do* know you can download
> Solaris for your PC for free now, right?  :-)

free? it is $75 i believe and no sources yet.

OK