Re: Error compiling kdenetwork-1.1.2

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, you wrote:
> Why don't you use the kde debs instead of compiling everything by hand?
>
> Add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://kde.tdyc.com slink kde contrib rkrusty
>
> You can add kdenetwork but it will probably complain as you've not installed the debs
> of the other parts of kde it depends on.
>
> Doing-it-yourself has the side effect of making removal a touch trickier than it
> might be.
>
> Jonathan

Agreed, removal is more difficult. I did instal the debs on my initial
system install. I chose purge and to compile this time primarily for two
reasons:

1.	I'm running on a laptop with a 1.3 Gb hard drive and I want the system
as lean as possible. By compiling, I can optimize for a pentium and eliminate
the debug/exceptions code. Smaller footprint.

2.	Despite what the FSH says, logic says put kde in /opt/kde. (I know,
I've heard the arguments for and against.) Simply put, (and quoting D. Powell
in "Practical KDE", no argument beats the ability to do a simple backup of the
windowing system when it's in /opt/kde). So, the compile lets me configure for
an /opt/kde install.

 --  Bill Caskey