Re: I screwed up and cannot boot

On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 10:15:42AM -0600, David J. Kanter wrote:
> At 01:25 AM 3/11/00 -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >Boot from whatever rescue disk you have, mount your Linux partition(s)
> >(you may want to fsck them first), and run LILO with the -C option to
> >specify a config file:
>
> Still problems. I booted off the rescue disk, and then tried to mount some
> partitions using the set-up screen, but got the error message: Mount
> failed: invalid argument.
>
> I then tried running fsck on the root partition, but it wouldn't do
> anything; it complained about bad super-blocks, and suggested running
> e2fsck -b 8193 <device> but that too did nothing?
>
> Reinstall time? I have /home on a separate partition.

Maybe not.  I ran into a similar situation (bad superblock errors)
and found that it was because my original rescue disk set couldn't
mount the partitions.

It was solved when I downloaded and created a brand new rescue.bin
and root.bin from frozen and they were able to mount the partitions
no problem.

I booted up, mounted, chroot to run my old binaries, fixed my lilo.conf,
re-ran it et voila.

--
Regards,
Paul