Re: transfering to new HDD

On 02-Mar-2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 07:05:04PM -0500, Allan M. Wind wrote:
>> On 2000-03-01 23:42:21, Mary Honeycutt wrote:
>>
>> > I bought a larger hard-drive for my potato box and want
>> > to transfer my system to it (preserving permissions,
>> > symlinks, etc).
>>
>> partition (cfdisk, fdisk) the drive, format (mkfs) and mount the new
>> drive.
>>
>> tar cf top_level_dirs; (cd /new_drive_monut_point; tar xpf -)
>
> I believe you'll have to pipe the output of the first tar to the second
> process:
>
>     tar cf - source  | ( cd /target; tar xpf - )

This works quite well, I just tried it.  However, I got missed up when it
didn't copy symlinks properly.  I had a link /var/somedir to the directory
/var/SomeDir, and instead of copying the link, it copied the whole directory so
that I had to identical copies of /var/SomeDir.  Be careful.

Regards,

Wim Kerkhoff
wim@netmaster.com