Re: Potato Broke My X

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 06:16:36PM -0500, Mike Werner wrote:

> See bug #59656 - it seems that the /etc/Xsession that gets installed
> by xfree86-common 3.3.6-4 has a problem somewhere.  Downgrading that
> package (xfree86-common) back to 3.3.6-3 fixed it.

That bug has been reassigned to xbase-clients and merged with a number
of bugs regarding the recent xauth trouble, and will likely be closed
soon as the xauth problem has been fixed. If this was indeed the
problem, upgrading back to xfree86-common 3.3.6-4 should give no
trouble as long as xbase-clients is 3.3.6-5 or higher.

Another important change in the xfree86-common package is that all
support for the /etc/X11/window-managers file has been removed. Window
managers should now use the alternatives system. You may want to check
that the /usr/bin/x-window-manager symlink is valid. The command
"update-alternatives --auto x-window-manager" will reset that symlink to
auto mode if for some reason it is manual (on my system it for some
reason was stuck in manual mode pointing to twm, which had been
uninstalled).

--
  finger for GPG public key.