Potato Broke My X

Updating my Potato system a few days ago with dselect broke my X windows. X
starts up with the herringbone and shows a single shell window and prompt.
It never gets as far as the full desktop. I have to use cntl-alt-backspace
to close the aborted X session. In my xsession error file it says

fatal IO error 32 (broken pipe) or KillClient on X Server ":0.0"

Any ideas where I go from here?

J Varney
Sacramento, CA

Windows 98 is a browser running on top of a 32-bit graphical shell for
a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a
4-bit CPU, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of
competition.