Re: Problelm with mounting of partitions

On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 08:44:14PM +0100, Thomas Delaet wrote:
> Therefore I had to add the line "/dev/hdc2 /var ext2 rw 0 0" in my
> /etc/mtab file again. Otherwise this operation won't have any effect on
> the /var filesystem

Don't edit /etc/mtab. Your edits for mount points should only be in
/etc/fstab. It should probably look like:

/dev/hdc2	/var	ext2	defaults	0 2

You may want to change the options from defaults...

> > $ mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc2 /var  # mount /dev/hdc2 on /var
>
> This worked ;-)
>
> > $ ls /var     # list the contents of var
>
> I can list the contents of my filesytem.
> > $ mount       # another way to get a list of what's mounted
>
> The /var partition isn't in the list of mounted partitions

Well, that is a problem. If mount doesn't know it's mounted, how can it
umount -a at system shutdown? (Rhetorical question)

So, you do have an empty directory on the root partition called 'var'?
And, you have an entry to mount it in /etc/fstab?

If both of those are the case, then I'm at a loss why when you mount it,
it doesn't show up in /etc/mtab. Anyone?

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |