Re: Problelm with mounting of partitions

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 09:07:29AM +0100, Thomas Delaet wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I have troubles mounting my /var filesystem.
> This is my fstab file
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> <pass>
>
> /dev/hda1       /             ext2   defaults,errors=remount-ro 0      1
> /dev/hda2       none          swap   sw                         0      0
> proc            /proc         proc   defaults                   0      0
> /dev/hdc2       /var          ext2   defaults                   0      1

I'd suggest changing the pass from 1 to 2. At least that's what the
manual suggests for other than '/' filesystems (man fstab).

> /dev/hdc3       none          swap   sw                         0      0
>
> And These are the command which are executed on startup concerning
> mounting of partitions :
> mount -avt nonfs,noproc
> swapon -a 2>/dev/null
>
> At shutdown the following commands are executed :
>
> halt -w
> swapoff -a
> umount -a -r
> mount -n -o remount,ro /
>
> After I started my PC, the /var filesystems doesn't appear in the
> /etc/mtab table.

Perhaps you don't have an empty directory "var" on the root partition?
Try booting into single user mode then, "$ mount /var". What happens?

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |