Re: Problelm with mounting of partitions

On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 01:25:16PM +0100, Thomas Delaet wrote:
> > Perhaps you don't have an empty directory "var" on the root partition?
> > Try booting into single user mode then, "$ mount /var". What happens?
>
> I added the following line manually to the /etc/mtab file :
> /dev/hdc2 /var ext2 rw 0 0

That won't do you any good.

> When I restart with a boot-floppy distribution (tomsrtbt).
> I typed fsck.ext2 /dev/hdc2 on the prompt there. And I got the message
> that the drive is clean.
>
> When I restart my PC and I start the debian distribution.
> I got on startup :
> /dev/hdc2 on /var type ext2 (rw)
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.15 (18 Jul 1999)
> /dev/hdc2 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced
> /dev/hdc2 555/26208 files (13.0% non-contiguous), 6862/104422 blocks
>
> After loggin in and doing "df", the /var filesystems still doesn't
> appear.
>
> I really have no idea what the problem might be ...

Did you try what I suggested? "$ telinit 1" to go to single user mode.
$ umount -a   # unmount all file systems in /etc/mtab except /proc
$ mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc2 /var  # mount /dev/hdc2 on /var
$ ls /var     # list the contents of var
$ mount       # another way to get a list of what's mounted
$ cat /proc/mounts  # and another
$ du -s /var  # summarized size of /var

It is a little strange that it appears to get mounted at boot, but then
doesn't show up.  You're not getting any error messages?

| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |