Re: Unidentified subject!

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Lars Sander-Green wrote:
>
> lars_i >I recently installed the most recent version of the Debian base system on an
> lars_i >old 486 (with a clean system) from floppy disks. Everything seemed to be
> lars_i >working fine and the base was installed, but when I tried to boot it from
> lars_i >the HD it returned only the message LI and then froze. I managed to boot
> lars_i >from the rescue disk and re-installed because I couldn't figure out the
> lars_i >problem. After the second instalation nothing was improved; in fact, the
> lars_i >rescue disk now returns LI. I have tried three different disks and numerous
> lars_i >reformats, but the disk refuses to boot. Althoug I'm not sure, the fact that
> lars_i >the system claimed my root sector was set to read-only and wouldn't let me
> lars_i >change it to writeable may have something to do with the no-boot from the
> lars_i >HD, but it doesn't explain the no-boot from the rescue disk. Any help,
> lars_i >either to succesfully boot the system or to completely re-install it, would
> lars_i >be appreciated.
This problem is usually the result of "NOT" running lilo after the
installation. I would suggest getting/making a new rescue disk. Then if
you have not done anything to the tast install, try booting from the
rescue disk and running lilo-config to set all of the boot parameters,
then run lilo to install the boot loader into the MBR. You should read
the installation instructions on the web site for other items you may
have missed.
--
AdVance-Computing Systems

We sell fine quality servers and workstations.
We specialize in multiprocessor units.
We install Debian Linux at no extra charge!

John Foster
jfoster@augustmail.com
ICQ# 19460173