cp of big file causes high loadavg

When moving or copying a big file (>100Mb) across filesystems, the
loadavg climbs from below 1 to 5, X screen refresh gets choppy and
xmms starts to stutter.

Anybody know any tweaks to avoid this problem?  I played around with
hdparm but the problem remains.  Sysctl maybe?

I am using a P3 with 256Mb RAM and 3 IDE harddisks running potato.

TIA,
Remco

--
Roel van Duin soviet NORAD RAF MI5 Khaddafi Cthulhu UCK kazerne
Panama class struggle Northold MDMA inkijk CP86 charge stealth