Re: How to use ntp/ntpdate to fix my clock

Henrique M Holschuh wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Ed Cogburn wrote:
>
> Actually, an end-user should have no business contacting public stratum 2
> servers either, they should use their ISP's timeservers. But not many ISPs
> are this high-quality to offer timekeeping services...  At the very least
> their backbone providers should have *good* ntp servers open to anyone in
> their net segment (which includes the ISP users), but not even this is true.

	Uh Oh.  I'll ask my ISP if they have an ntp servver, but I doubt it.

> > primary servers require "permission to access" first.  Get to that
>
> Most secondary servers *do require permission to acess* as well. Only they
> don't feel the need to packet-filter everybody else on a show of faith that
> you will ask permission first. Start abusing and that won't last long.

	The list I read from when I set ntpdate up didn't show a "permission
to access" for the servers I used; I avoided the ones which did.

> > list, write down 3-4 of the secondary servers that are geographically
> > close, and plug that info into ntpdate's config file.
>
> *NO*.  At the very least ping them and discard the ones which are too far.

	The docs don't say this unfortunately.  The "use 3-4 servers" idea
came from what I read, I didn't just pull that number out of a hat.

	Thanks, you're instructions are more clear than the docs that come
with ntp/ntpdate.  The docs seem to be primarily focused on setting up
a ntp server, not an end-user's situation.

--
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." - Voltaire

Ed C.