Installing to /dev/hde

My system is configured such that each of my four ide
devices has its own IDE port.  The expansion card I use
requires that hard disks be installed on the expansion board
and cds/atapi devices be installed on the internal ports.  Anyway, when the root disk boots it recognizes the existence of the drives but the install program will not recognize the drives and tells me that there are no hard disks configured.

It has been suggested that slink will not look beyond hdc for a hard disk.  Is the potato install any different?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Eric