Re: How to use ntp/ntpdate to fix my clock

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Ed Cogburn wrote:
> Henrique M Holschuh wrote:
> > Actually, an end-user should have no business contacting public stratum 2
> > servers either, they should use their ISP's timeservers. But not many ISPs

The operative word there is "should".

> 	Uh Oh.  I'll ask my ISP if they have an ntp servver, but I doubt it.

If they don't, then by all means use a public stratum 2 server.

> > Most secondary servers *do require permission to acess* as well. Only they
>
> 	The list I read from when I set ntpdate up didn't show a "permission
> to access" for the servers I used; I avoided the ones which did.

Well, then there are no problems, are there? :-)

> > > list, write down 3-4 of the secondary servers that are geographically
> > > close, and plug that info into ntpdate's config file.
> >
> > *NO*.  At the very least ping them and discard the ones which are too far.
>
> 	The docs don't say this unfortunately.  The "use 3-4 servers" idea

Yeah, I know. The NTP FAQ is still alpha as well, but it did help me a lot
when I was trying to do my first installation. You can find it somewhere in
www.ntp.org, I think.

There *are* reasons for using more than one server in ntpdate, but two
usually provides enough redundancy. I can't see the reason to use more than
three.

> 	Thanks, you're instructions are more clear than the docs that come
> with ntp/ntpdate.  The docs seem to be primarily focused on setting up

And less acurate as well. The docs are your friends...

> a ntp server, not an end-user's situation.

Yes, that's true.  Interestingly enough, if you ntpq -p around a bit, you'll
find a lot of "servers" which are not very well configured, at least
redundancy-wise ;-)

  Henrique Holschuh