ppp with different kernels

I have Debian potato on my laptop (Dell Latitude Cpt). I have 2 kernels,
2.0.36 and 2.2.13. For some reasons I had some problems with ppp, while
connecting to my provider. Probably I made some mistake. Now the situation
is quite strange (at least for me). Using kernel 2.0.36 the connection is
OK, while using 2.2.13, the usual "pon" command does not return any error,
but afterwards I cannot reach any server: ping something is
unsuccesful. It seems the DNS is not reached, but why is it reached
changing the kernel? Also sometimes worse thing happen: with 2.0.36 ppp
starts and then stops immediately, or, with 2.2.13 the booting process
hangs up, while loading the mouse server gmp. In both cases, rebooting
makes things work (why?).

If you have any idea, I would be very happy to receive your advise.

Thank you very much
Alessandro