Re: How to use ntp/ntpdate to fix my clock

Henrique M Holschuh wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Patrick Dahiroc wrote:
> >already on Feb 15, 2000. digging through the package database i came across
> >ntp and ntpdate and installed both (i have an always on connection to the
>
> ntpdate is used to do a "one time only" update to your clock. ntp is used to
> discipline your clock and will in fact keep the RTC in a short leash
> updating it every 11 minutes.

	I don't believe ntp is what Patrick needs.  "ntp" is the daemon, i.e.
the server.  "ntpdate" is the "client software".  I think what Patrick
wants is ntpdate and info on available public servers to access, not
to setup his own ntp server for a sub-net of others.
	The info you want Patrick is in ntp-doc, at least.  ntp-doc is docs
in HTML form.  They include a link to a list on the net of public
primary and secondary servers (I'm pretty sure this list can be found
elsewhere in ntpdate or ntp-doc packages).  For most of us, we should
access a secondary server, there is no reason for an "end-user" like
us to be using primary servers.  I seem to remember also that some
primary servers require "permission to access" first.  Get to that
list, write down 3-4 of the secondary servers that are geographically
close, and plug that info into ntpdate's config file.

[snip]

--
"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." - Voltaire

Ed C.