Re: Accessing /dev/mem

Quoting Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net):
> On 11/1/2000 Cameron Matheson wrote:
>
> >Alright, I need help badly.  Programs on my linux can not open "/dev/mem."
> >Because permission is denied.  The permissions are:
> >
> >crw-rw----   1  4755       kmem         1,       1 Feb 22 1999  mem
> >
> >Why can't programs access this???  My CD-ROM always gives me "Permission
> >Denied" errors too.  (In my fstab, the options I have set are noauto,user)
>
> well those permissions are wrong, that file should be owned by root
> and the group should not have write permission
>
> chown root /dev/mem ; chmod 640 /dev/mem

Are you talking potato here? All my stable/slink systems show precisely:

crw-r-----   1 root     kmem       1,   2 Mar  3  1999 kmem
crw-rw----   1 root     kmem       1,   1 Mar  3  1999 mem

and that includes the dates. (I included kmem in case you'd misread
the line.)

(I have no idea what these devices do.)

Cheers,