Re: Accessing /dev/mem

On 11/1/2000 Cameron Matheson wrote:

Alright, I need help badly.  Programs on my linux can not open "/dev/mem."
Because permission is denied.  The permissions are:

crw-rw----   1  4755       kmem         1,       1 Feb 22 1999  mem

Why can't programs access this???  My CD-ROM always gives me "Permission
Denied" errors too.  (In my fstab, the options I have set are noauto,user)

well those permissions are wrong, that file should be owned by root and the group should not have write permission

chown root /dev/mem ; chmod 640 /dev/mem

that probably is not why your system is broken however, it sounds like programs who would need /dev/mem access are not setgid kmem (such as lsof) and if you cannot mount a cdrom unless you are root it sounds like /bin/mount is not setuid root.

you did not happen to install potato with version 2.2.3 of the boot floppies did you? if so your system is quite hosed and will need much work (or more simply reinstallation) to make it functional.

perhaps you could be more specific about what version of debian you are using, what kernel, which programs fail there permissions, etc.

--
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/