Re: Few problems

sketchy@shagged.org (Jonathan Perkin) wrote:
>Just a few bugs/errors/general queries I've noticed in recent weeks:
>
>Keycode 4 in both slink and potato seems to be broken using the uk
>keymap.  Instead of printing a sterling sign, it gives a pound sign
>followed by a linefeed.  If there is already text on the line, the
>poundsign is places at the beginning, then newline'd.  I've tried using
>seperate binary of loadkeys as well as a seperate uk.map (from an older
>distribution which had no such problem) which didn't recitfy the
>problem.  Broken termtype?

The sterling sign is mapped to Meta-#, as far as I can tell, which is
mapped to the insert-comment function in readline. I fixed this with the
following line in my ~/.inputrc:

Meta-#: "\C-v£"

If I could figure out what this was a bug *in*, I'd report it ...

>Upgrading to potato doesn't seem to add /dev/pts to /etc/fstab, or (from
>what I gather from other users) create an rcS.d script to mount it.  Is
>it part of a seperate package outside of required base which I might
>have missed during dist-upgrade?

I have such a script, apparently created by some package. I'm damned if
I can find which, though.

>Could someone explain why .dsc source files are provided as part of apt,
>if there *isn't* a bsd-style make.conf to pass on local optimisations
>etc?  I don't see the benefit of downloading source (which I prefer to
>do), if it's just going to compile it in exactly the same way as the
>binary .deb has been done - not allowing for local pgcc/-O6/malign
>stupidities :)  I also couldn't find a way to force it to use my custom
>CFLAGS etc.

You can always edit the Makefile itself, and flags may well work if you
put them into debian/rules. There are others around here who are rather
more expert than I am. :)

>xemacs21 for potato doesn't seem to adhere to debian policy with regard
>to delete/backspace escape characters - the Delete key sends a ^H in
>both X and terminal instead of the proper sequence.  Also it corrupts
>the console when exiting by replacing the normal "_" cursor with a block
>one.  Not sure if that's a bug or "feature" :)

Pass on this one, I don't use emacs. :)

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]